November 17, 2015

"I'm Not Just Sitting"




During outdoor play, the children excitedly go off to explore the inviting environment.  One child sits on the grey concrete ground with nothing around her other than the small brown leaves that are getting blown around by the wind.  The child stays in the same spot for a long time.  I stop and observe the child for several minutes.  The child has been captivated by something, but what could it be?  I look over in the direction of the child and notice what has her attention.  On the brown brick wall is a small bird hanging sideways on the building.  The bird then flies away. As I glance at the child, I notice that she has followed the bird with her eyes.  She is curious about what is happening in her environment, curious about all the things that are happening way up high where she cannot reach.  To an adult, it may appear that the child is just sitting.  To the child, she is learning about her environment and building knowledge about the world as she knows it.


No comments:

Post a Comment